Confessions a 20th century ne'er do well: Drinking, fighting, stealing and other things one generally ought not do

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Blowhards

Everything that crosses my mind now seems completely sophomoric. I used to at least think I have insight – now, I think the mere act of commenting on most things is foolish. I feel that way about whether movies are good, current events, social issues. I feel like people who engage in these conversations are blowhards, regardless of their opinions. I’d rather read a good book. I’m reading a lot, and watching TV. I suppose the shift is that people who talk about stuff would be better off listening, or referring me to a book. I’m also feeling bored with people – a shift from annoyed – who talk too much in this manner. I have little tolerance for people who talk about restaurants.
I was in San Francisco last week. The bay area is beautiful – underrated, if you ask me, since TV and movies mostly focus on the hills or Golden Gate Bridge. I walked along the shoreline from Market Street to pier 40 something past fisherman’s wharf, taking it all in.
It was a beautiful experience. The kind of thing that you can only experience there. I felt a kind of empty feeling whenever I spoke to anyone about San Francisco, because it seemed like the first question or bit of advice was about what restaurant to find. What a waste – and a boring one. The hills are another example. As I said TV and movies focus on the hills, but the real attraction is not the hills, but the view!
Maybe part of this comes from living in New York. Fancy or interesting restaurants aren’t so hard to find, and great views aren’t often encountered on foot. Maybe, similarly, every blowhard opinion or observation out there has crossed my mind by this point?

5 Comments:

Blogger T.A.B. said...

Just be careful of the atmosphere in San Francisco. It's full of smug.

8:00 PM, October 24, 2006

 
Blogger NJWT said...

Oh yeah. everyone was wondering why the homeless people are so aggressive in San Francisco. The answer is because SanFranciscians are nice. In New York, most homeless people know better than to bother someone too much.

3:59 PM, October 25, 2006

 
Blogger About Me said...

I really, really liked visiting the John Muir woods, when Jon and I were in that area. Another thing you can't find in New York City is REDWOODS.

1:39 PM, October 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But there are trees in New York, so all you really need is a can of spraypaint. HA!

I totally agree with you regarding the restaurant-speak. Talking about the incredibly hot waitresses, however, is totally acceptable.

And yeah, SF is lovely. Chinatown was my favorite part, though! :)

5:46 PM, October 28, 2006

 
Blogger NJWT said...

Is Muir Woods where they go in Vertigo?
Wes, a quick referral to hot waitresses is always a good tip. Talking about hot waitresses? Blowhard!

10:24 PM, October 28, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home