Confessions a 20th century ne'er do well: Drinking, fighting, stealing and other things one generally ought not do

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sigh.... if you're gonna cheat......

I remember about 20 years ago when it was discovered that Gary Hart had had an affair, my father quoted the talking point of the day: "How can we trust him to keep a vow to his country when he can't even keep a vow to his wife?" It was one of my first glimpses into the partisan preposterosity that passes for political discourse in this country.
That is not going to stop me for using similar logic now to point to the relative honesty of Elliot Spitzer: If he can't keep it a secret when he sees a hooker, how can we expect that he'd be able keep other, shadier dealings a secret, like working with the mafia, cheating on taxes, selling secrets to the Soviets? You'd assume that the Feds are working harder on such cases. Thus we can conclude that as a public servant, he is fairly honest. Not 100%, because of this transgression, but I think the fact he can't even pull this off, suggests that he is probably innocent of bigger things. For the record. I do believe that elected officials shouldn't break the law

5 Comments:

Blogger Walt said...

Indeed, there is nothing new under the sun.
If you're going to be a public figure, it is best to keep it in your pants!

Brother my phone crashed, I lost your number, but it saved hers.

10:50 PM, March 10, 2008

 
Blogger AddledWriter said...

Well, he DID keep it a secret for quite a while, considering who he is, and the number of people who wanted to take him down!

9:09 PM, March 15, 2008

 
Blogger NJWT said...

Walt, you have my e-mail, don't ya?

For some reason I don't know much about the guy. A lawyer with a secret life fighting with investment bankers? How boring. I'll wait for the comic book to come out so TAB can tell me about it.

6:50 AM, March 16, 2008

 
Blogger T.A.B. said...

He may have been seeing a callgirl, but you can't call her a cheap callgirl.

I'm working on the comic book right now.

2:27 PM, March 16, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the amazing adventures of spitz and titz

9:19 AM, March 18, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home