Confessions a 20th century ne'er do well: Drinking, fighting, stealing and other things one generally ought not do

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Career services

I’ve been trying to think of a new thrust for the blog. I’m envisioning a partial resume/portfolio type of thing to showcase my writing with the goal of potentially moving towards more paid writing assignments. A way of creating a kind of beat or expertise.

Reading TAB’s recent lamentations about his career, I thought it might be a good idea to turn this blog into a career search blog. Not a portfolio like I mention above, but more of an among friends forum to discuss career development ideas. The nature of the other blog would depend on what I figure out before then.

Everyone tends to have good ideas, but the key is to keep grounded in reality. Not pessimism, but reality. Certainly anything is possible, but the methods of getting from A to B are constrained by reality.

The biggest challenge I face is that I have no clear goal. My philosophy is that that shouldn’t stop me. I’m a believer in the maxim that, “luck is when preparation meets destiny.”

So it often feels a little neurotic to constantly try and think of projects or ways to improve myself (really, isn’t arbitrary “self improvement” the realm of the insecure?). But, I want my role to be greater than it is. The idea is to become more nimble in career matters.

With that goal in mind, I want to try and open my mind to my few readers who want to also discuss these matters.

The goals of talking about career stuff include:

1. Brainstorming and stress testing – elaborating on ideas and finding flaws with them.
2. Keeping goal oriented with the things I do. Since self improvement as I define it here is similar to work, I’d hate for it to be without purpose. Sometimes worthy efforts can seem purposeful, only to be draining in the end because of a lack of coordination with ultimate goals.

But most importantly, I want to avoid compensation for insecurity. This isn’t about me trying to garner support or feel good about myself, but to develop both skills and positioning that can make me more nimble. More nimble means better able to benefit from opportunities that arise.

I hope everyone feels free to add to the discussion - regarding yourselves. Bringing our minds together can only yield results that multiply what we can come up with on our own. Feel free to e-mail me if you want something to be the main post. If you want anonyminity, maybe this is the place for it. We're all in this world together.

5 Comments:

Blogger Walt said...

The last time I was an employment councillor, it was under Jimmy Carter, oh boy was that ever a mess! I'm only 55, and not sure if I should take my civil service retirement, or just go back to the old hog trough, and pig out.
It would be nice to have more free time.

2:11 AM, April 10, 2008

 
Blogger T.A.B. said...

Dave, I'm not sure what I can add to the discussion. Your strengths revolve around people skills. Perhaps you could start taking classes in your interests like I am.

This is different than my goals because in mine, I am looking for compensation for insecurity.

I'll let you know if any ideas strike me.

9:10 AM, April 10, 2008

 
Blogger NJWT said...

Well, it's an ongoing converstation. This entry just sets the stage. I hope to discuss specific thoughts - like I do in real life - but on a larger scale, and perhaps everyone can benefit. Ideally, some will be broad strokes, others might be specific.

I'm super insecure too, and I want to avoid doing things for begged-for praise as opposed to doing things that are actually useful and/or needed.

Maybe a word or two about mentors and role models in the next entry

10:55 AM, April 10, 2008

 
Blogger Jaded said...

I think a really useful tool in setting career goals etc., is to network with other people who do whatever it is that you want to do. If you want to write, then network with writers. For instance, one of my friends does "for hire" pieces, like books for SAT prep and such in order to pay the bills while she writes novels. She also writes for a newspaper. Brainstorming with someone like that might help you make clear goals for yourself. If you're interested in speaking with her, let me know and I'll set it up.

I do think that clear goals are necessary. You have to really break it down to its base level and figure out what it is that you really want. For me, the reality of the situation was that I would not be able to sustain a marriage if I was on the road all the time. So when I really dug deep, I realized that what I'd really wanted all along was to just earn my living as a singer. While the performing part was a big part, it was never really the goal. So, in order to mix reality with my dream-job, I had to find a way to earn a living through music whilst living in one state. That's why I started teaching, performing locally and doing voice-overs. But without knowing what you really need to be fulfilled, you'll never have clear cut goals. Without the goals, you won't be able to focus your energy in the appropriate direction. You'll inevitably end up wasting time on something that won't help you get what you want.

I've said this to TAB in the past as well. You absolutely need to figure out what you want, at its most base level. Then you need to set goals, be prepared for some struggle and sacrifice and know that you'll have to work hard.

This is just my $.02. I only say this stuff because I've experienced it. I've got a pretty successful business, and it never feels like I work for a living because I'm doing the one thing I needed to feel fulfilled in my career. That wouldn't be possible if I hadn't been honest with myself, figured out what I needed vs. the reality of the situation and done some work to get there. I did get advice from other musicians in my area, which was exceptionally valuable. It helped me refine my goals and measure how well I was meeting them.

Again, if you'd like to touch base with my friend, let me know. I know she'd be a really great resource.

8:54 AM, April 11, 2008

 
Blogger NJWT said...

You guys are giving me good fodder for upcoming posts. I don't really have a specific career goal. But there is still value to assessing the present and trying to move forward. Goals are multifaceted, anyway. Maybe I will speak to your friend, though, if she's up for it!

6:57 PM, April 11, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home