Confessions a 20th century ne'er do well: Drinking, fighting, stealing and other things one generally ought not do

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Real New Yorkers revisited

Almost exactly a year ago, April 22, 2007, I wrote a post about how most 'New Yorkers' are really foreigners, and that people growing up in NJ are more native.
Yesterday afternoon, I asked one of the guys from that post where NASDAQ was.
"Times Square," he said. "Didn't you used to live in New York?"
"Yeah," I responded, solely aware of the irony, "But real New Yorkers don't pay any attention to Times Square."

Oh yeah, my name was mentioned on the NASDAQ billboard at the foot of Times Square as having put together one of the most important conferences on Latin America or something along those lines.

Also. If you want to give to charity and don't know where, give to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund. Believe it or not, I met the guy on multiple occasions, so it was indeed sad news. I thank him for being a part of somthing that brings me joy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaded said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Congrats on the conference recognition.

Times Square is like home base for my people. Y'know, those of the singing/acting persuasion.

5:10 PM, April 19, 2008

 
Blogger Walt said...

HEY HEY HEY! Ding A Ling Dave, you sounded really good on that bell.
There must be a good story here, and I want to know everything!
I call New York the schizophrenic city, with its many rival boroughs divided into antagonistic elements. It's a tribal identity thing.
I must be getting old, things have changed so much, I saw this blog today, and it reminded me of how big a snob I was, as a young soldier, full of shit and vinegar. It was 1973, and dead or alive, most of my rock music heroes were all legends. Then along comes scruffy looking Bruce, and his motley looking gang that looked like a bunch of junkies, rummies and bums. I said to myself, these guys are at the end of their road, they'll never make it to the top. Danny Federici was so clean he looked out of place. Funny, he seemed so clean cut, he looked like he was kidnapped from playing at some one's bar mitzvaha party. Hell what did I know? Back then we were still praying that the Beatles would come back together It was not until I got out of the army, that I began to really appreciate the Boss, and his crew.

12:27 PM, April 20, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home